RE: Data and meaning

From: John Holgate <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 02 Oct 2002 - 11:57:08 CEST

Rafael,

You replied to Chistoph

<yes, but the difference does not just come from the progammer,
<it comes basically from the kind of being
<a robot is (in case it is not a *flesh* one... at least...

I empathise with you here. Although if I were flying a plane I'd
rather receive my meaningful information from a computerised autopilot
than a fleshly comatose copilot.

Can an autopilot (or a thermostat, a digital TV or a chess program
like Brute Force)have a meaningful informational experience?

The Posthumanists would probably say 'yes' - and a qualitatively better one
than us non-cyborgs and human chess players. They seem to be somewhere between
Kubrick's 'Hal' and Spielberg's 'David'.

I tend to agree with Jerry in questioning "that "information" is tightly coupled to
human values and utilitarian patterns of belief."

Are Liberal Humanists becoming 'human all too human' about 'embodi-ment'
 'be-ing' and 'mean-ing'?

Aren't we mistaken in treating such concepts as steady states rather than
continuous entities? Paper(as Bohm pointed out) is in its quantum potential
form 'paper-ing'. Just as language is really languag-ing and meaning is mean-ing.*
(to paraphrase Nietzsche - 'Jedes Wort ist ein Abgrund')

Sense (Christoph's 'web of meaning') emerges out of our interaction
(being-in-the-world) with other 'beings' and with 'things' like computers,
faxes, robots et al. It is somehow embedded in the ecology of living interaction.

To talk about 'information' carrying or transferring meaning (or vice versa)
is in my view myopic and takes into account only passive information - incidents
and artefacts rather than that active force Jerry alludes to in his Wordsworth quote.
This is where the technology school of Knowledge Management has gone so horribly wrong.
N'est-ce-pas?

The choice is really between 'informational pattern' and 'embodied enaction'
not between fleshly beings and digital 'things.' Do you agree with that?

I think the debate goes to the heart of Michael Conrad's theories and
the belief in a synergy between natural and computational phenomena.
The jury is still out on that.

John H.

*"A noun is just a "slow" verb; that is, it refers to a process that is
progressing so slowly as to appear static. For example, the paper on
which this text is printed appears to have a stable existence, but
we know that it is, at all times including this very moment, changing
and evolving toward dust. Hence paper would more accurately be called
papering-to emphasize that it is always and inevitably a dynamic process
undergoing perpetual change."

http://www.noetic.org/Ions/publications/review_archives/30/issue30_10.html