Re: Data and meaning

From: Christophe Menant <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 07 Oct 2002 - 22:39:26 CEST

Pedro,
Let me try to anwser some of your points.

> Probably what you say makes a lot of sense from the point of view of
> computer science and agent modelling. And I concur that your
> 'constraint' approach is very elegant and intriguing as a computational
> strategy.
> However, biologically the problem looks different. The meaning is built
> by the living entity after the 'mysterious' abduction process has lead the
> receiver to converge on that particular item distinguished as info.

Well, your position may be looked as somehow compatible with the
structure of the Meaning Generator System.
Indeed, why not consider that the meaning produced by the MGS
can be fed back to the receiver of the MGS and act dynamically
as a filter/guide so the receiver can "converge" to the particular
item distinguished as info ?
A kind of a predetermination of the information to be received
and tested vs the constraint.
(we can escape the "chicken and egg story" with progressive
meaning generation).
My knowledge about abduction is somewhat limited, but I like
to look at it as a "proactive function" making available some
"open categories" that can guide the analysis of raw
information towards new patterns adding value to the
understanding of the world.
And the meaningful information produced by the MGS could be part
of this "proactive function" build up.

> Converging or not belongs exclusively to the receiver part; afterwards
> meaning will be 'fabricated' in a fast/medium/long term; and quite
> probably within a molecular-decay process that will also affect
> that 'meaning'.
> The passing of time dramatically alters the meaning, content, salience,
> relevance, etc. that we have initially felt or experienced, or
> elaborated.

I believe like you that the meaning, content, salience, relevance,
etc can be significantly modified and alterred by time. There are
many information processing function besides the MGSs in an organism.
Memory, simulation, integration, averaging, differenciation,
comparison, random mix up,... These functions, using also the
available genetic or historical information, should significantly
modify sveral information in a living system

> In any case, your return to the 'constraint' notion is very welcome, as
> we could not close 'meaningfully' the cellular discussion months ago. I am
> still pondering about that.

Regards
Christophe Menant (crmenant@free.fr)