WESSbook, The Nature of Space, Oct. 12, 2002

From: <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 11 Oct 2002 - 22:20:54 CEST

Dear WESSbookers:

The next WESSbook discussion is scheduled for tomorrow, Oct. 12,
2002, at 12:00 PM in room 284 of Reiss Science Building on the
Georgetown University Campus.

Continuing our exploration of basic concepts fundamental to the
emergence of complexity, we will discuss the Nature of Space.

The following individuals have volunteered to present a perspective of space:

12:00 PM Prof. Ben Weems
12:30 PM Discussion
12:40 PM Dr. John Gray
1:10 PM Discussion
1:20 PM Dr. Shari Garmise
1:50 PM Discussion

2:00 Lunch Break

3:00 PM Dr. Richard Khuri
3:30 PM Discussion
3:40 PM Prof. Andrew Vogt (Rapportuer)

4:10 PM General Contributions / Discussion

(If time permits, I will add a remark on the sources of creativity
within chemical spaces.)

I was surprised by the primary definitions of space published in the
New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary.

"space"

"I. With ref. to time. 1 a Lapse or extent of time between two
points, events, etc.

II. With ref. to area. 5 a Extent, area; spec. area sufficient for
for some purpose; capacity to accommodate a person or thing or allow
a particular action.

Further definitions, also of substantial interest, are given under
specific subjects:

10. Metaphysics. Continuous, unbounded, or limited extension in
every direction, regarded as a void of, or without reference to
matter.

15. Math. An instance of any of various mathematical concepts, usu.
regarded as a set of points having some specific structure."

To what extent do these definition imply that the nature of space is
separable from other concepts essential to the genesis of emergence?

We may continue the discussion at dinner in a local pub afterwards.

For further information, please call at 703-790-1651.

Guests are welcome!

Cheers

Jerry LR Chandler