The Power of Power Laws

From: Terry Marks-Tarlow <[email protected]>
Date: Sat 26 Oct 2002 - 01:43:53 CEST

Dear Fellow FISers,

I was intrigued by Pedro's post not too long ago, linking power laws as one
common factor in the work of various complexity theorists. I, too have been
fascinated by the brand new symmetry in nature, self-similarity, that lurks
beneath power laws. I believe its ubiquity quite meaningful.

In my opinion,self-similar dynamics and fractal geometry serve as a bridge
between the imaginary and real, mind and matter, unconscious and conscious.
Everywhere in nature, fractal separatrices articulate a paradoxical zone of
bounded infinity that both separates and connects nature�s edges. By
occupying the �space between� dimensions and various levels of existence,
fractal boundaries appear to exemplify reentry dynamics of Varela�s
autonomous systems. As a psychologist, I am most intrigued by fractal models
of the psyche and how these dynamics appear to occupy that seamless seam
where brain, mind and consciousness are most entangled.

Best,
Terry