RE: The Power of Power Laws

From: John Holgate <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 30 Oct 2002 - 02:40:55 CET

Pedro, Terry,

I'm intrigued by the 'power laws' scenario. Worth exploring.

Without being too Occammish how does your neurological notion of
'power' map to cultural antecedents and meaning structures (Lord Acton,
Nietzsche,Adler, Foucault etc) or to quotidian usage (empowerment,
power walking, Power to the People etc)?

I imagine 'branding' and 'badging' are power law signatures of firms.

Re optimisation

Have you noticed that the native state of a folded protein strongly
resembles the Taoist symbol of harmony?
http://www.faseb.org/opar/protfold/protein.html

And even the fatalistic Greeks optimised Pandora's Box by leaving Hope inside...

John H