RE: The Power of Power Laws

From: Pedro C. Mariju�n <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 31 Oct 2002 - 10:55:29 CET

Dear John,

Maybe the play of words on 'power' and 'power laws' brings literary
interest to the topic but also we risk introducing some confusion. I
remember late Gordon Scarrott (in the prehistory of FIS--he helped to
organize the Madrid 1994 conference) on why such type of hyperbolic
distributions occur so often in human societies. Shared 'commitments' in
human groups was his tentative response... so it gets close to the angle
you want to contemplate the phenomenon. His posthumous article -quite
interesting one- is in Cybernetics and Human Knowledge (1998). Maybe Soeren
Brier can tell us the way to access it in the web.

Anyhow, the 'power' is not usually friendly regarding such type of
spontaneous emergent order -- the signature of the 'invisible hand'. My
hunch is that it promotes a type of social adaptation that treats
'uncertainty' along the time scale under a very different way than the
pretty restricted evaluation of politicians and bureaucrats (very
short-time risk minimization vs. a more or less 'scale free' optimization
outcome.) but it is difficult to put it in an adequate conceptual form.

My opinion --I would love hearing economic oriented people about that too--
is that we have barely conceptualized the 'infostructure' underlying
economics and politics.

regards

Pedro