Symmetry and entropy

From: Dr. Shu-Kun Lin <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 24 Dec 2002 - 10:07:04 CET

Dear all FISers,

There is no doubt that symmetry is related to entropy. Pedro
(marijuan@posta.unizar.es) kindly introduced to me Michael Leyton's
work where we can read that the symmetry-increasing processes are also
entropy increase processes in thermodynamics. I just read Leyton's new book
A Generative Theory of Shape (Springer Verlag) and found this on
page 40, see http://link.springer.de/link/service/series/0558/tocs/t2145.htm.
Of course the same was hinted in Rosen's book
(see http://www.mdpi.org/entropy/htm/e1030053.htm).
Curie-Rosen symmetry principle (a higher symmetry- higher stability
relation) should be paid great attention (Rosen attributed this to Curie.
However, Rosen substentially developped it and tried to prove it.
I also tried to prove it by lnW>=SUMPilnPi, i.e., the uniform (symmetric)
probability distribution gives the highest value of entropy.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Shu-Kun

--
Dr. Shu-Kun Lin
Molecular Diversity Preservation International (MDPI)