Re: Information/world

From: John Collier <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 24 Dec 2002 - 20:32:24 CET
At 02:01 PM 24/12/2002, Jim Cogswell wrote:
?That in the world through which one, perceiving the world, arrives at his conception of the world, that, in the order of the Blessed One, is called the world.?

I guess I am one of those who would say it is obvious. That does not mean that it is not profound.

There are several things that I find worth noting, offhand, and without reflection:

1) that mentioned in the first phrase is not identified, except as what "is called the world". In particular, it is not the conception of the world mentioned in the third phrase -- or at the very least it is not necessarily the same -- perhaps for some people it really is what they call the world (and not just what they think they call the world). As you say, Jim, there are many levels of possible interpretation.

2) I am not sure of the translation of "perceiving the world".

3) the first phrase talks of that _through_ which one, not of the object of perception itself (at least not necessarily). This suggests that we call the world that which through which we arrive at our conception of it, and not the object of our perception itself, but again the two might be the same.

4) our information about the world is coloured by that through which we conceive it while perceiving the world. To call this coloured vision "the world" is wrong, given that it is impossible to parse the previous sentence without an equivocation on "the world" if we assume this. If we call the that the world, then it cannot be the same that that is our coloured conception. Nonetheless, the information is there in the conception, albeit coloured, so it is really a perception of the world. "The world" must, therefore, be other than our conception of it.

5) if this Bhuddist statement is true, then radical constructivism is false.

I might add that the constructed world is maya, and is usually thought to be illusory. The quoted statement, I think, shows why in a very nice, concise way. I am not a Bhuddist, but more of a Taoist, and I believe that that the world that can be conceived is not the true world. This does not mean that our conceptions of the world do not contain information about the world.

John