WESSbook, Jan. 25, 2002. The Nature of Energy.

From: <[email protected]>
Date: Sat 28 Dec 2002 - 02:18:39 CET

Dear Colleagues:

Following our discussion of the inadequacies of the current
hypothesis on Cosmic Evolution on May 4, 2002, we posed a list of
questions concerning the fundamental scientific issues relating to
the emergence of complexity. During these discussions, we recognized
that different individuals were proposing different concepts of time,
matter, space and identity. The WESSbook sessions of June 8, 2002,
September 21, 2002, October 12, 2002, and November 16, 2002 have
revealed deep but perhaps spannable distinctions among our views.

We will continue and perhaps close this initial series of
explorations on Jan. 25, 2003 with presentations of views on the
Nature of Energy. The meeting begins at 12:00 PM in room 284 of the
Reiss Science Building on the Georgetown University campus. This
session will be an "open mike" session for all participants under the
guidelines given below.

Volunteers are sought to give presentations on current views of this
important component of scientific analyses and syntheses.

The session will be divided into two parts, Early and Late.

Volunteers for the "Early" part are requested to submit a title and
several sentences describing their hypothesis on the nature of space.
We hope to have three of four individuals from three or four
different disciplines who can give substantial presentations on their
views.

"Late" speakers are invited to submit an email, including a proposed
title, documenting their willingness to comment on the views of the
"Early" speakers or to briefly develop another perspective of energy.

Free discussion will follow the early and late speakers.

Please volunteer at your earliest convenience. In order to schedule
an orderly meeting and to notify other WESSbook participants, it is
necessary to receive your title no later than Saturday, January 18th,
2003.

We will partition the available time democratically between the
longer and the shorter talks.

An open question: Some have suggested that we apply our analyses of
the fundamental concepts of science to a recent book of evolutionary
interest. How does a particular author generate a narrative that
spans the basis of scientific thought with the recurring cycles and
emergent itinerary of evolution? Further suggestions of topics for
the next session are welcomed.

Plans for the Washington Academy of Sciences symposium, to be held in
March, 2004 are progressing. About 60 local scientific societies are
invited to contribute to this gathering. The symposium will provide
WESS members an opportunity to present their views to a wide audience.

Your comments on this proposal on the nature of energy and the
potential for participation in the Washington Academy of Sciences
symposium are welcomed.

The volume of literature on nature of energy is substantial. If you
would like suggest relevant works on the nature of energy relevant to
this WESSbook meeting, please distribute the suggestions directly to
the recipients of this list. Personally, I have found the works of
Max Jammer (recommended by Ben Weems and available from Dover Books
online) to be stimulating.

As always, guests are welcome.

Cheers

Jerry LR Chandler