Fwd: Some questions about the nature of informational theories

From: <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 10 Jan 2003 - 05:36:02 CET

Dear Colleagues:

This email responds to recent discussions and extend my earlier
remarks. The original email is included below for your reference.

Were the questions I poised not relevant to a theory of information?
If they are not relevant, then what would be relevant?

One possibility is that the strength of beliefs in entropy as the
source of material information is so strong that it blocks thinking
about generic philosophical issues related to science.

If this is the case, can someone "make the case" for entropy - that
is, systematically list the basic reasons that support the concept
that entropy can be generalized to cover all possible forms of
communication / information?

The absence of responses to the questions concerning abstraction
suggest that the role of abstraction in science, philosophy and
mathematics should be publicly examined by this group. The nature of
abstraction is fundamental to trans disciplinary discussions. Does
anyone have a better suggestion on how to open the possibility of
moving from eisegesis to exegesis and theory construction?

Rafael's question:
So, if I may add an underlying question:
how do *information* and (Platonic) *idea* relate
to each other? Are we having a *re-vision* of Platonic
thought? if so, where are the differences

illustrates one of the problems with language. In so far as the word
"information" is derived from the root "form", one can not totally
ignore the potential role of Platonic thought. But, will this aid us
in theory building? Indeed, if we can not move from eisegesis to
exegesis, can philosophy play a role?

Clearly, philosophers are often skilled at painting a simplifying
view of nature. But, how are these talents to be directed toward
exegesis? How are these talents related to generating an intricate
view of the nature of communication / information?

One area that philosophers could potentially contribute to is coding
theory. What is the common meaning of encoding and decoding and how
are systems distinguished by their encoding capacities? What are the
sources of motion that generate encodings? What are the path
dependencies that support encoding operations? Explication is
needed, not merely explanation.

The narratives of process philosophers (such as Whitehead) are often
illuminating when applied to biological dynamics. Could process
philosophy become a base for theory building covering the component
of transmission of information?

Russell's intricate writings on correspondence also provides an
opportunity for philosophical exegesis. The matching of corresponding
relations from mathematics to science is powerful. In what sense is
the non-symmetry of encoding and decoding of human communication a
form of correspondence? Or, under what circumstances can human
communication be viewed as a symmetrical operation?

Tarski's logic is obviously relevant to any many layered (eg,
complex) associative relation. Should Tarski's logic be invoked to
relate various forms of communication? If not, why not?

Finally, a critical area exists which I have been reluctant to
comment upon. That is, to what extent can we elide our philosophy of
mathematics? The suggestion that we are faced with a choice among
set theory, group theory or category theory could be rephrased. Each
mathematical theory is a choice among a collection of rules that
describe the species - the specification of the theory. In a certain
sense, one can talk of "the category of sets", or "the category of
groups" or even the "category of categories". The narrative power of
mathematical languages include a tight network of relations which
promote such usages. The mathematics will take care of itself once
one has a crisp description of the logic of the theory, will it not?

Cheers to All

Jerry LR Chandler