RE: A Proposal for Wrapping Up - language information and time

From: John Holgate <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 17 Jan 2003 - 08:08:16 CET

Ted,

Plaudits for opening (or is it closing?) the kimono.

You remarked:

<I think Koichiro's proposal, if I understand it right is equally
<radical, to move the notion of "time" outside the framework of
<information, turning it into the metatool for the new science: a
<grammar for information.

One of the intriguing foreground questions is the entanglement
of time language and information. In quotidian experience
there is a Bermuda triangle (somewhere at the confluence of circadian
chronological and psychological time) in which time meets information
as they disappear together down the wormhole of relevance.
Yesterday's news is dwindling information and attention is predicated
on timeliness and timing (rather than good old Father Time).

Two questions emerge.

1. How then does info-time relate to the dimension of spacetime?
Is it (as for Edwina) an extension of material forms or 'more
than a tweak' in the materio-reductionist cosmogony?

2 If information has a 'syntax' which language theory is
appropriate for the crafting of our metatool?
Or do we invent our own?

Is Koichiro's promising notion a metaphor borrowed from
descriptive grammar or is it grounded in linguistic science?
(Bohm's 'rhematics' is an example of a half-baked linguistic
theory which went nowhere).

Shannonists will probably be more comfortable with MIT and
the Chomskyites, the cyberneticians with Peirce.
Others will feel more at home with Vygotsky or the nonlinear
tense of Whorf's Hopi Indians.

Koichiro's view that information is 'a broadcast with a tense'
is not far removed from Bohm's active/passive voice metaphor.

Is this gerundive time like the flickering frames of a cinematic
continuum 'project-ed' onto the screen of spacetime?
Avoidance of the particulate "the" word is to
be applauded ("the past, the present, the future" retired
in favour of passing presenting project-ing).

As Borges said "Time (like information) is
the river which carries me along but I am
the river".

Maybe a future model for FIS is a network of SIG's
to explore some of these fascinating issues next
time round and possibly come up with a suite of
metatools for the New Science.

John H