Re: [Fis] gravity and symmetry

From: Pedro C. Mariju�n <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 24 Feb 2003 - 12:04:13 CET

Dear FIS colleagues

Last week I found the following quotation in Lee Smolin (The Life of the
Cosmos, Oxford 1997, p. 276), which was taken from Roger Penrose:

"My own view is that ultimately physical laws should find their most
natural expression in terms of essentially combinatorial principles, that
is to say in terms of finite processes such as counting... Thus in
accordance with such a view, should emerge some form of discrete or
combinatorial spacetime."

I think it nicely dovetails with discussions we had months ago on
'spacetime', and also with the recent comments by Edwina on the
constructivist use of 'symmetries' --I wonder, should we think, instead, on
'infosymmetries'?

best

Pedro

PS. Has anyone read another, more recent work of Smolin on 'quantum gravity'?