Re: [Fis] further comments: AAAS

From: Rafael Capurro <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 17 Apr 2003 - 11:39:29 CEST

Ted,

I think in this regard we should make a clear
difference between ethics and morality. As
scientists we are commited to ethics, i.e. to
reflection on moral rules (="ethos"). Our
special responsibility is to keep ethics alive
as a continuous reflection on the problems (!)
posed (also) by a universal code of morals
(as in the case of UDHR and other such
codes of conduct). Of course, any ethics
presupposes also a morality (as its object)
and... we cannot find a 'quiet place' where
we 'just' reflect on morals without any connection to
moral practice not to speak about the
difficult relations between morals and politics
which is not the same as ethics and politics.

Rafael