Re: [Fis] What is Music

From: Pedro C. Mariju�n <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 23 May 2003 - 15:16:17 CEST

Dear colleagues,

With the last three messages we have crossed the barrier of the 1000
messages in our site! Somehow, with the accumulation of discussions like
this one we are having on music, little by little the new info 'boulevard'
is taking shape, in a direction quite perpendicular to the conventional
system of disciplinary streets... so the difficulties.

Well, the three responses to "what is music" by Michael, Andrei and Juan
are very tough bones to chew. I am missing Jim's chirping on the theme: he
is a visual artist and probably would explain better than me the rather
obscure direction I try to make sense. In what extent do the popular songs,
and dances, partake such formal 'advanced' properties? For may taste the
three authors have in mind only the advanced forms of music that literate
cultures have produced --Western one, exclusively. However, focusing on
'professional' specialized performers, and their high level creation of a
very sophisticate representational art (around written music) will get us
astray of the Dyonisian foundations of this fascinating human socioinfo
phenomenon. Thus, the formal properties of our contemporary art would be
interesting only as much as they helped us to adumbrate that obscure info
part, and not otherwise. A classical aspect of music in the neurosciences
is the high pedantry associated: Damasio and sublime operatic singers,
Edelman and excelling pianists, Llin�s and great violinists... Oh, la la!

It will take me several days to attempt any response to these three authors
(much appreciating all their contents!! particularly I think that Michael's
Theory of Generative Processes will lead us to great future discussions), I
just wanted to expostulate the first reaction of a 'bodega songs' lover.

best