Re: [Fis] I do not find the objectivity of music

From: John Collier <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 02 Jun 2003 - 14:08:10 CEST

At 12:53 AM 2003/06/02, elohimjl wrote:
>Some first questions related to specific music as information
>

>May I assume that when listening �f�r Elisa� I am involved in the
>transference of certain information?
>Would it necessarily be the same information when I have the chance of
>hearing the interpretation of either Claudio Arrau or Friedrich Gulda?
>Would it be always the same when listening the 'message' instead of simply
>hearing it?
>Would it unavoidably be the same information when I choose to listen it in
>the morning as a message for waking up or when hearing it at night when I
>am willing to relax before going to bed?
>Would it inevitably be invariably the same information involved when I
>play the role of listener or when I try to play and interpret the notes
>written by Ludwig von Beethoven.
>We shall never know what information intended Beethoven to communicate
>when he composed it. Shouldn't we care about his intentions, under the
>assumption that it is always the same information?
>
>How may I distinguish the information concerned when listening
>�Gymnop�dies�? Erik Satie never could imagine what would be my reaction to
>his message interpreted by Klara K�rmendi.

There is a great song by The Incredible String Band about a person who
"Hears all the notes, but doesn't hear the song". I love that song.

John

I've found the link between apes and civilised men - it's us.
                         -- Konrad Lorenz
John Collier collierj@nu.ac.za
Philosophy, University of Natal, Durban 4041 South Africa
T: +27 (31) 260 3248 / 260 2292 F: +27 (31) 260 3031
http://www.kli.ac.at/research.html?personal/collier
http://www.nu.ac.za/department/members/members.asp?dept=philundund&id=3248