Re: [Fis] Music in group-theoretic biology

From: John Collier <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 05 Jun 2003 - 17:38:10 CEST

At 10:50 AM 2003/06/03, Karl Javorszky wrote:
>Best regards to Scott Muller and please give him the hint that he should
>count how many multidimensional partitions are possible on n objects (that
>is: how many distinct group relations can be generated on a set of n
>objects). Once he has this, he will no doubt compare this upper limit (of
>information carrying capacity) to the number of distinct sequences one can
>generate on a set of n objects. Then, the surprise will be perfect. He shall
>tell you that he will have found the mechanism by which theoretical
>genetics works. Then, we shall all rejoice!

I am not sure we can go as far as the last, but his method does
involve "count how many multidimensional partitions are possible on n
objects (that
is: how many distinct group relations can be generated on a set of n
objects). Once he has this, he will no doubt compare this upper limit (of
information carrying capacity) to the number of distinct sequences one can
generate on a set of n objects." Another part of his argument is that
the possible partitions are object dependent (they depend on properties
of the object or kind of object in real situations). At least that is so
inasmuch
as I understand what you said in relation to Scott's language.

John

I've found the link between apes and civilised men - it's us.
                         -- Konrad Lorenz
John Collier collierj@nu.ac.za
Philosophy, University of Natal, Durban 4041 South Africa
T: +27 (31) 260 3248 / 260 2292 F: +27 (31) 260 3031
http://www.kli.ac.at/research.html?personal/collier
http://www.nu.ac.za/department/members/members.asp?dept=philundund&id=3248