[Fis] hierarchy of symmetries and physical consequences

From: Gyorgy Darvas <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 23 Jun 2003 - 10:11:02 CEST
Dear FIS colleagues,

Although I could not read M. Leyton's cited (2001) book :-( , I agree with the principle of the nested hierarchy of symmetries.
I would like to rememeber, that I independently arrived to a similar idea and proposed such hierarchy of symmetry breakings based on ontological levels 5 years ago. I presented them at two Congresses in 1998, and both papers have been published:

(1) 20th World Congress of Philosophy (Boston, 1998):
Darvas, G. (1998) Ontological levels and symmetry breaking, Paideia, Philosophy of Science, http://www.bu.edu/wcp/Papers/Scie/ScieDarv.htm

(2) 4th Intnl. Symmetry Congress (Haifa, 1998)
Darvas, G. (1998) Laws of symmetry breaking, Symmetry: Culture and Science, 9, 2-4, 119-127

Seemingly my hierarchy differs a little bit from Michael's, since my one allows not only the emergence of new symmetries at a higher level, but also points to the permanent loss of symmetries, that existed at the lower levels.

As I showed at a conference on the problems of self-organising systems in Wien in February 2003: in thermodynamic terms we do not use the same reference frames, when we speak on the permanent loss of symmetry in the evolution of matter on the one hand, and when we speak about the increasing symmetry in a closed physical system on the other hand. The same concerns our entropy concept as well: we apply the same phrase in different meaning, and this may cause confusions and misinterpretations.

Without knowing the exact proofs applied in Michael's latest book, I can base my opinion on the information persented in Tom Bearden's short reference. This makes me to disagree with several far-reaching physical consequences mentioned in his website communication.

Maybe I generate a new debate, but I think this theme worths.

Gyuri

Symmetry Festival 2003   http://www.conferences.hu/symmetry2003/
Gyorgy Darvas          [email protected];      [email protected]
                       http://www.mtakszi.iif.hu/darvas.htm
S Y M M E T R I O N
http://us.geocities.com/symmetrion/ [email protected]
Address: c/o MTA KSZI; 18 Nador  St.,  Budapest,  H-1051  Hungary
Mailing address:       P.O. Box  994,  Budapest,  H-1245  Hungary