Re: [Fis] hierarchy of symmetries and physical consequences

From: Michael Leyton <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 23 Jun 2003 - 14:15:37 CEST

Gyorgy's letter is very interesting.
His and mine are two very different
approaches. He describes symmetry-breaking
in terms of loss of lower symmetries,
I do the opposite. The symmetry-breaking
does not loose the underlying symmetries.
This gives an entirely new theory of
symmetry-breaking, which physicists
like Bearden say are solving major problems
in physics.

What I have done was develop an entirely new group theory in
which symmetry-breaking actually INCREASES
the symmetry group, building on the underlying
symmetries. This deeply undermines
the idea that groups are descriptions
of symmetry. I actually argue that groups
are maximally "compact" descriptions of
asymmetry.

If you dont have access to my book, my music
paper on the FIS web-site describes this in detail.
It is also viewable on my own site at:

http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~mleyton/music_theory.pdf

best

Michael