Re: [Fis] Molecular recognition: Similarity rule and complementarity rule

From: Pedro C. Mariju�n <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 10 Jul 2003 - 13:23:39 CEST

Thanks, Shu-Kun, for the well posed questions.

In a paper, posted at the fis site, I have put together a brute taxonomy of
biomolecular recognition events (inspired in Meggs, 1998):

enzymes/substrates,
enzymes/effectors,
enzymes/cofactors
antibodies/antigens,
receptors/transmitters,
receptors/hormones,
channels/ions,
channels/ligands
nucleotides/DNA-RNA chains,
RNA/RNA pairing,
RNA/DNA pairing,
DNA/DNA pairing,
DNA/promoters,
DNA/histones,
RNA/ribosomes,
amino acids/protein chains,
proteins/chaperons,
proteins/proteasomes,
proteins/protein multimers,
proteins/protein complexes,
proteins/protein kinases-phosphatases,
tubulins/microtubules,
actins/microfilaments
carbohidrates/glycoproteins,
lipids/lipoproteins,
       phospholipids/membranes

>There seem to be only similarity rule and complementarity rule
>for molecular recognition. Are there any other rules?

Intriguing question in front of the above taxonomy. Should we open a third
category related to systematic detection of 'transition states' (at least,
thinking on enzymic active sites and perhaps antibodies ---or are they
somehow covered by 'complementarity')?

>Xerman related molecular recognition to chemical bond. Is the
>molecular recognition simply a special case of
>chemical bonding?

In general I agree (although hydrophobic forces do not neatly fall into
that line).

>Let us do it step-by step. We must first define it. Then try to
>find a plausible theory about it.

OK!

Pedro