Re: [Fis] molecular discussion

From: Luis Serra <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 11 Jul 2003 - 13:10:31 CEST

Dear John,

Thanks a lot for your valuable information. I will read these works and I will do further comments (I do not know when!) about them.

Regards,

Luis
========================

At 09:31 11/07/2003 +0200, John Collier wrote:
I just want to point out that the idea was originally due to James Kay and Eric Schnieder. Jorgenson's book is very derivative from their work. Kay's home page is at http://www.jameskay.ca/

Some literature:
Schneider, E.D, Kay, J.J., 1995, "Order from Disorder: The Thermodynamics of Complexity in Biology", in Michael P. Murphy, Luke A.J. O'Neill (ed), "What is Life: The Next Fifty Years. Reflections on the Future of Biology", Cambridge University Press, pp. 161-172
http://www.fes.uwaterloo.ca/u/jjkay/pubs/sch/sch.html

Schneider, E.D, Kay, J.J., 1994 "Complexity and Thermodynamics: Towards a New Ecology", Futures 24 (6) pp.626-647, August 1994
http://www.fes.uwaterloo.ca/u/jjkay/pubs/futures/tex.html

Schneider, E.D, Kay, J.J., 1994, "Life as a Manifestation of the Second Law of Thermodynamics", Mathematical and Computer Modelling, Vol 19, No. 6-8, pp.25-48.
http://www.fes.uwaterloo.ca/u/jjkay/pubs/Life_as/lifeas.pdf

I do not exactly agree with their approach in all details (they are deficient in understanding the role of information, in my opinion) but you should go to the real source.

John