Re: [Fis] A humble suggestion on FIS discussion rule

From: Pedro C. Mariju�n <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 17 Jul 2003 - 14:13:47 CEST

Dear colleagues,

The recent message by Shu-Kun highlights some organization problems that I
think we should confront in a near future. Basically these problems
revolve around the coexistence between different scientific
discussion-cultures at fis. I firmly believe that we need both the
generalist and the specialized modalities of discussion. During these years
we have thrived upon the former almost exclusively (also by necessity, as
none of the different fields had critical mass to sustain a focused
discussion), and we really have to be thankful to the perseverance of these
generalists. But presently --mostly with the new incorporations during fis
2002 and its aftermath-- there seem to be growing possibilities to maintain
focused (and specialized) discussions about the very basic themes that
could boost the new science.

How could we achieve the best of both worlds? That's the challenge. As I
think that rather than creating too strong formal fences we have to advance
towards an intelligent intertwining of styles--towards a genuine
multidisciplinary 'symbiosis'. Reflecting on messages months ago by John
H (his 'Cochrane' proposal) and by Ted about fis futures, I would suggest
that the next discussion on information and ecological economics be somehow
prepared and supported by an ad hoc 'discussion team' -- perhaps Jerry
could help us by coordinating that discussion (I am making public a private
suggestion by Luis Serra).

So, apologies for diverting from the mainstream discussion on molecular
information--now, added to Shu-Kun brave speculations, there is another
exciting posting by Bea to ponder...

best

Pedro