Re: [Fis] Molecular recognition and the foundamental laws of information

From: JLRChandler <[email protected]>
Date: Sat 19 Jul 2003 - 22:50:09 CEST

Pedro:

With regard to your questions:

>"...the symmetry principle: the higher the symmetry, the more stable
>a system will be. Now (only now) we can consider the molecular
>recognition
>in details because thermodynamics is actually useless for molecular
>recognition consideration. "
>
>It looks a very challenging statement. Does everybody agree with it?

The relation between chemical sciences and thermodynamics is
generated from one simple direct equation which relates one of the
seven thermodynamics functions to a ratio of numbers of molecules:

delta F (free energy) = - R * T ln K (eq).

In words the change in free energy is equal to the negative of the
product of three factors:

1. the ideal gas constant
2. the temperature
3. the natural log of the equilibrium constant for the chemical process.

It is crucial to note the the chemical structures DO NOT appear in
this equation. The implication of the absence of chemical structures
from this equation are enormous. One might say that the relationship
between chemical concepts to physical concepts hang by this very very
slender thread -- a thread that excludes the single most important
concept of chemistry -- namely that of chemical structure composed
from chemical elements.

How does this relate to molecular recognition?
If one can relate the concepts of molecular recognition to a
specific equilibrium constant, thermodynamics does not care!

How does one create meaning from such thinking?

Cheers

Jerry