Re: [Fis] Molecular recognition and the foundamental laws of information

From: Dr. Shu-Kun Lin <[email protected]>
Date: Sun 20 Jul 2003 - 14:51:56 CEST

Dear Pedro and other FISers,

Pedro's consideration of the relationship between the two parts (most cases pair-wise)
of a molecular recognition is very important.
Their relation can be always regarded as incomplete symmetry
(We can discuss this in very detail again.)

We discuss molecular recognition here because it is closely related to
information at the molecular level. Your concept - supplementarity -
might be still better considered as a kind of complementarity. Small size molecule
is supplementary to the larger one? Sometimes a metal ion,
even though the size is small, is regarded as center (or template) and a large
cyclic molecule is only regarded as a ligand.

Is the molecule wrapping the other molecule
or part of the other molecule more important? Male domination is not good,
female domination may also bad. To avoid struggling for molecular "rights", we may
use complementarity. If the two parts (host-guest) are of the same
rights, it can be regarded as a binary system and much easier to discuss
in terms of information theory.

Which one is suplementary to the other, 0 or 1, black or white?
They are complementary in certain property and the same in many other
aspects. Man and woman are all the same (both have very similar
anatomic structure: two hands, etc., and same interests, etc.).
The only difference is the sexual organs. Spin-up and spin-down are both
tiny small magnets. The only difference is their orientations (up or down).

I was in Paris in a UNESCO conference hall where the superpower USA
has the delegation seat the same size as a small country Switzerland.
UN procedures are easier if all the states are given the seat of the same size.
This might be for the same reason. Smaller country is not necessarily
a suplementary to the larger ones.

Shu-Kun

--
Dr. Shu-Kun Lin
Molecular Diversity Preservation International (MDPI)