Re: [Fis] Molecular recognition and the foundamental laws of information

From: by way of <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 21 Jul 2003 - 13:03:26 CEST

Dear Pedro, Dear Shu-Kun, Dear Colleagues,

>"...the symmetry principle: the higher the symmetry, the more stable a
>system will be. Now (only now) we can consider the molecular recognition
>in details because thermodynamics is actually useless for molecular
>recognition consideration. "
>
>It looks a very challenging statement. Does everybody agree with it?
>
>best
>
>Pedro

I agree, although I must add 2 minor remarks.
(1) Thermodynamics works also in the world of molecules. It does not work -
in the proper way as we used to its application in physics - in the case of
such phase transitions, when new higher organisational levels, i.e.,
qualitatively new structures emerge (e.g., a molecule from atoms).
(2) Since the evolution arrows from more symmetric to less symmetric, I
would formulate the above principle: the lower the symmetry, the less
stable a system will be.

Best,
Gyuri

Symmetry Festival 2003 http://www.conferences.hu/symmetry2003/
Gyorgy Darvas darvasg@helka.iif.hu; h492dar@ella.hu
                        http://www.mtakszi.iif.hu/darvas.htm
S Y M M E T R I O N http://us.geocities.com/symmetrion/ [email protected]
Address: c/o MTA KSZI; 18 Nador St., Budapest, H-1051 Hungary
Mailing address: P.O. Box 994, Budapest, H-1245 Hungary
Fax: 36 (1) 331-3161 Phone: 36 (1) 312-3022; 36 (1)
331-3975