Re: [Fis] Molecular recognition and the foundamental laws of information

From: Igor Rojdestvenski <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 22 Jul 2003 - 10:18:22 CEST

Dear colleagues,

As a physicist I would not agree with the symmetry principle as formulated
below. It holds in certain situations, and it breaks in other. The case of
phase transitions is one clear example. The more ordered state is less
symmetric (crystall lattice is less symmetric than liquid, for example).
But at low temperatures the system tends to go into less symmetric state,
which becomes more stable. This is called "spontaneous beraking of symmetry".

As to thermodynamics of molecular recognition, I also disagree that it is
useless. It is just a different kind of thermodynamics, developed by
Leontovich, Kantorovich, Balescu and other prominent people in statistical
physics. It is called "nonequilibrium thermodynamics", and it can actually
be applied at a molecular level given that the number of states of the
system is substantially high. The microscopic version of it, the
nonequilibrium statistical physics, is also quite useful.

I would also be quite sceptical about formulating general principles within
the existing paradigms. In my opinion, to formulate a postulate one needs
to go beyond the existing axioms, paradigms and terminology, otherwise the
statement will be either incorrect or trivial. Lobachevsky geometry does
not exist within Euclidean geometry.

Best, Igor