Re: [Fis] High or low symmetry

From: Igor Rojdestvenski <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 22 Jul 2003 - 18:12:52 CEST

Today is clearly a disagreement day :):):). Nevermind...

1. In fact what you are trying to formulate is a well-known principle from
statistical physics that the equilibrium state possesses the highest
symmetry possible. This is a natural consequence of the theorem of
equidistribution of energy between the degrees of freedom. This is not
stability or instability (which possess slightly different meanings). This
result is known to physicists for at least 50-70 years. It also holds for
economics, biology and many other situations, and I think there are tons of
papers about it.

2. Crystal is MORE ORDERED but LESS SYMMETRIC. By definition, symmetry
measures, in very kitchen-physics terms, how many transformations leave the
system unchanged. In homogeneous system any translation at ANY distance does
not change the system whilst in the case of a crystal only those
translations that are integer multiples of the elementary cell size leave
the system unchanged. That is why crystal is less symmetric. This is also
not of my invention, but has been terminologically and ideologically sorted
out about the same time ago. Again, ORDER is different from SYMMETRY, and
often the more ORDERED system is the less SYMMETRIC it is (within, of
course, the framework of commonly accepted definitions of symmetry)

Thanks, Igor