RE: [Fis] cell signaling: COMMUNICATION

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 03 Oct 2003 - 12:17:44 CEST

Dear Pedro,

It seems to me that the demand to produce "molecularly based" responses to
those questions lke info, signal, meaning, etc., makes it virtually
impossible to answer them. Information (probabilistic entropy) is first a
mathematical concept that is dimensionless (e.g., bits of information).
Thus, it is a property that emerges within the model and that does not in
itself refer to a natural quality. For this reason, tt is very different
from thermodynamic entropy that has a dimension (Watt/Kelvin).

For example, when billiard ball collide they produce no entropy in the
ideal case (since the collision is perfect). However, in this case the
exchange of energy and momentum is maximal. Thus, the production of
probabilistic entropy in the change of these distributions is also maximal.
When the friction in the collision increases, the probabilistic entropy
paradoxically decreases. Thus, the two concepts of entropy and
probabilistic entropy are analytically independent (but one can use the
same formalisms).

In other words, the information dynamics have first to be specified in
terms of relevant probability distributions produced by the molecular
processes. The specification of the system of reference may then be
orthogonal to the "natural" one as the above example illustrates. I can
work this out for chemical systems, but I haven't done it for (molecular)
biological ones. Brooks & Wiley (1986) "Evolution as Entropy" go a good
stretch in that direction.

With kind regards,

Loet Leydesdorff