Re: RE: RE: [Fis] CONCLUDING THE SESSION

From: Soeren Brier <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 09 Oct 2003 - 00:10:16 CEST

Dear Loet

1. Meaning is an "update value"? Is that a social thing?

2. At the same time you define it statistically as reduction of uncertainty? But this goes for physical systems too.

3. Then add that this needs a selective system. Does that imply that only social systems are selective?

4. Unless you want to define the social from the concept of meaning, then it is not a reducing of the social to claim that all living systems work with meaning, and add that only language producing system make conscious meaning.

5. Do you restrict �the social to humans? Chimpanzees then do not have social organization and interaction?

6. Luhmann says that meaning is a reduction of complexity. Is that not what all living system do?

7. What are the non-living systems that produce meaning never the less??

8. Are your meaning concept based on Luhmann? Because I do not understand neither yours not Luhmann's concept of meaning.

9. Maybe it is because your theory is not able to think the living, but only either the dead physical-chemical or the social meaningful?

10. To be consistent you then have to put the biological system under the mechanical and let meaning appear by the creation of souls from the Divine in a thinking world or somehow emerge from the mechanical world?

11. But that is philosophy of course, not sociology � and it is my experience that those researchers, who like you define themselves as sociologist, do not feel obliged to answer those questions, because they are ontological.

12. But FIS is about foundations, so I do think we need to address the foundations here.