Re: [Fis] CONCLUDING THE SESSION

From: S�ren Brier <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 09 Oct 2003 - 13:47:06 CEST

Dear Loet. Thank you. To me you get closest to the essence of the
problem I work with here:

"The meaning of information can be defined only with reference to a
system that is able to organize the information. The generation of
meaning therefore assumes a system operating over time. The
specification of a system of reference provides the (Shannon-type)
information with system-specific meaning. That is, a system contains a
substance in which information is communicated. This substance can also
be considered as a medium of the communication."

I do not disagree very much with this. The intersting part is (to me),
what this "substance in which information is communication" is and that
is the "medium of communication".

To me this is the field of meaning, and it is generated by the embodied
mind in living systems. Un-embodied systems like the computer can
therefore not really produced meaning that means anything to humans. i
claim that the biological and the psychological autopoietic systems
produce this substance of meaning that the socio-communicative system
then operates in and modulates! What about that?