RE: [Fis] Re: about meaning (FIS)

From: <[email protected]>
Date: Sat 11 Oct 2003 - 14:00:20 CEST

Loet,
We probably think the same, but let me try to reword a few items

> > Yes, both are measurable but they do not belong to different domains.
> > I is a component of S.
>
> Dear Christophe,
>
> It seems to me that two different systems of reference are involved in
> producing the signal.
>
> For example, a telephone line can carry both voice and data. Whether it
> is voice or data does not matter to the telephone line. Whether the
> telephone line is from Amsterdam to Paris or from Amsterdam to Berlin
> does not matter to the distinction voice/data.

Yes, assuming we have same characteristics of S/I for voice
or data. If bandwidth/debit are different, then the telephone line
may transmit with different performances. But this has nothing
to do with meaning generation (we are there in the Shannon domain
dealing with transmission performances and quantity of information.
Meaning of information is not taken into account there.)

> The two systems co-vary
> in the signal that occurs. In a dynamic representation one could say
> that the signal is co-produced by the information exchange and the
> carriers.

The "co-production" you are talking about may be brought back
to S/I and meaning:
1) The "carrier" is the Signal containing the Information.
2) The "information exchange" covers the meaningful information
generated and sent by the transmitter, and the meaningful information
that will be generated by the receiver when receiving the one sent by
the transmitter. Transmitter and reciever can have different MGSs.
When you read a newspaper article you may attribute to te text a
meaning quite different from the one the author was willing to pass.
(more on this also in Entropy Publication).

Are we in agreement ?

Christophe