RE: [Fis] CONCLUDING THE SESSION

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 13 Oct 2003 - 20:25:15 CEST

Dear John and colleagues,

This seems very advanced. It is not easy.

But let me try to recapitulate in terminology that I (as a chemist) can
follow more easily.

        �G = �H - T �S

If I correctly understand you, �S is only a dimensionless number in this
formula because T is already an energy.
I had never understood this before.

I know that Brillouin and Szilard have coupled the Shannon entropy with
the thermodynamic entropy (via the Boltzmann constant (�S = kB �H)), but
I doubt that one has to follow this physical interpretation of the
Shannon formula because one can also provide Shannon's formula with only
a mathematical interpretation about the distributedness of any system of
reference. Entropy calculus is then used as a statistics. The expected
information content has only meaning within the model of the system
under study. (Physics is then a special case.)

One can easily see the potential independence of the Shannon and the
thermodynamic entropy. For example, when billiard balls collide in an
ideal case, the thermodynamic entropy is zero (because of the ideal
case), but the redistribution of energy and momenta is maximal and thus
a pronounced probabilistic entropy is generated in these two dimensions.
If the two quantities (�S and �H) were fully related with only the
Boltmann constant in the formula, the probabilistic entropy should also
be zero in the case of this collision without friction. The system of
reference for the physical collision and consequently the thermodynamic
entropy, however, is different from the system of reference of the
redistribution of momenta and energy. The latter is an
information-theoretical description of the system and not the physical
system itself.

With kind regards,

Loet

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
 <mailto:loet@leydesdorff.net> loet@leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/

 <http://www.upublish.com/books/leydesdorff-sci.htm> The Challenge of
Scientometrics ; <http://www.upublish.com/books/leydesdorff.htm> The
Self-Organization of the Knowledge-Based Society