RE: [Fis] "Ecological Economics and Information"

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 24 Oct 2003 - 09:31:21 CEST

Dear Jerry,

Thank you for this excellent introduction.
Perhaps, we should consider the asymmetry between "economics" and
"ecology". For example, the ecology of economics may be quite different
from the economics of an ecology. These words get meaning when the
systems of reference are specified.

I agree with your appreciation of Bob Ulanowicz's work. I use his work
extensively in my own work. For example, in:
 <http://www.leydesdorff.net/th4/index.htm> The Mutual Information of
University-Industry-Government Relations: An Indicator of the Triple
Helix Dynamics, Scientometrics 58(2), 2003, 445-467. <
<http://users.fmg.uva.nl/lleydesdorff/th4/T(uig).pdf> pdf-version>

The relation is mainly the potential production of a negative entropy in
tripartite relations at the network level. It seems to me that this
provides us with an elegant indicator of a self-organizing economy.
However, I don't see the relation with ecological thinking that easily
because the system of reference is very different in the biological
case. Of course, the formal models can be similar. However, we should
not mix them up as in Luis Serra's paper:

Question 8

Could our civilization survive in a lower energy and natural resources
world?

 The survival of our civilization is to be discussed in terms of the
social sciences (unless one assumes that civilizations are literally
alive). But this seems only a metaphor to me.

Question 9

What is the economic-politic-cultural, global paradigm that could help
humanity to develop the necessary symbiotic relationships with the
biosphere?

I doubt that such a paradigm exists. I think that there is compelling
evidence that the social sciences don't work with a global paradigm. In
the social sciences, the abandonment of this ideal of a global paradigm
has been one of the major achievements of post-modernism.

Question 10

Should we radically change our views on information, both in economy and
in nature? In other words, should we radically change our means and ways
of scientific thinking?

This is a philosophical project if not a theological one. Scientific
thinking is not so voluntaristic, in my opinion.

Question 11

Is our present society capable of confronting this challenge?

 I doubt it and I am not too unhappy about that. Society can also not
solve that there are spots on the sun. But we can sometimes do a lot for
solving natural disasters technologically.

The central point is that society is not a living being. Otherwise, one
arrives at mythical thinking. The great advancement of Galilei was to
understand that nature is not alive and that it can be made the subject
of mathematical reasoning without being harmed. Similarly with society:
it is a network system. The hypothesis that the development of this
system exhibits autopoiesis is perhaps fruitful as a heuristics. For
example: Paul Krugman, The Self-Organizing Economy (Malden, MA/Oxford:
Blackwell, 1996).

Niklas Luhmann has been mentioned before on this list for his
contribution in generalizing the notion of society as a functionally
differentiated system that processes not living, but meaning in an
autopoietic mode. While "living" is based on the exchange of molecules
(Maturana), "meaning-processing systems" are predicated on
communications that are symbolically mediated (for example, by using
money for making payments).

However, it seems parsimonous to me to define "information" not
specifically with reference to any of these systems, but yet
content-free. A mathematical definition of information (like Shannon's)
has the advantage of being content-free. The content-free information is
provided with meaning when a system of reference (a communication
system) is specified. For example, when molecules are assumed to be
communicated, a biology is generated. (When atoms are communicated, a
chemistry is generated. When prices are communicated, an economy is
generated. Note that these are hypotheses!)

For example, at this list an economy is generated by the (symbolically
mediated) rule that one is allowed to send two messages in one week. One
could study the distributions thus generated as an ecology, but the
exchange of ideas is only conditioned by this ecology and economy. The
fluxes provide the exchanges with meaning. Hopefully.

With kind regards,

Loet