Re: [Fis] "Ecological Economics and Information"

From: Pedro C. Mariju�n <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 27 Oct 2003 - 14:49:05 CET

Dear Jerry and Luis (and fis colleagues):

Thanks a lot for the introductory drafts. My first impression is that Jerry
has done a very elegant job connecting the new 'universe' of discussion,
mostly eco-logics (but also some eco-nomics), with our basic information
science topics. And, on the other side, Luis has put us --quite bravely--
right in the middle of many unanswered questions and conceptual
difficulties of the new interdisciplinary arenas around thermodynamics,
economics, and natural resources evaluation.

There seems to be a gap between both introductions, so, I would suggest
some further efforts (not just by them, but mainly by us --the rest of
discussants) to interconnect them... I confess not having found yet any
non-trivial way (for instance, could make sense now returning to the
historical comments appeared at fis a few years ago on the social origins
and transpersonal purpose of the 'information machines' --entrepreneurial
accounting systems-- that underlie the 'invisible hand' of markets and
prices. I think that Luis Q2... Q6 might finally revolve about that. And
it also connects with the reasoning started by Jerry on the dynamic flows
of goods and services in economic systems and neighboring ecosystems. Do
both 'workings' imply radically different and incompatible types of
'closure'...???).

The new people who have joined the fis list especially for this discussion
(some of them are among the pioneers in the development of these new
interdisciplinary fields) are cordially invited to collaborate in this
search for the crucial information conceptualizations. Actually, the
success of this discussion depends on their active involvement.

Well, in any case I have much enjoyed both drafts. Thanks!

best regards