Re: [Fis] Ecological Economics and Information

From: <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 24 Nov 2003 - 04:44:20 CET

Dear Enzo and All:

First, thank you Enzo for your interesting post. Unfortunately,
other matters leave me little time for addressing the interesting
issues raised here. I look forward to the end of a very busy
semester! (Enzo's post is appended below.)

In my original post, I sought to separate the functional behavior of
an ecosystem into "degrees of organization". The mathematical /
logic purpose for generating this separation of terminology was to
distinguish the components of ecosystems into logical classes,
somewhat analogous to the mathematical notion of a "lattice"
structure. By starting at the bottom of the "lattice" and moving
stepwise upward, one starts with a very very fine structure,
subatomic components, and step by step, increases the size and number
of components of the next degree of informational assembly. Each
assembly is formed from logical components of lower rank and each
collection of lower assemblies forms logical assemblies of a higher
order.

The scientific languages for these operations are well established
and supported by experimental methods (at the lower levels in the
lattice) or empirical observations (for higher levels.) These are
discrete mathematical operations (that is, non-continuous) and are
composed from indivisible components.

The purpose for these constructions is give a representation that can
be critically examined by scientific methods. In other words, to
develop the capacity to study the flow of individual "bits" /
"units" of information at each degree of organization within the
lattice. For my purposes, the study of human health and disease, a
basic concern is the role of the individual structure in generating
the dynamics of the whole. The unique character of the individual
assembly is vital to understanding the flows of information in the
system as a whole. In less abstract language, each biochemical
structure represents an indivisible object. Each biological gene
represents a unique source of one component of the biological
dynamics. Each individual citizen represents a unique source of
social action and inaction. Each biological species contributes
uniquely to the ecosystem.

A lattice structure is reflexive, anti-symmetric and transitive. The
"lattice like" structure I proposed is reflexive. It is similar to
the anti-symmetric property. It is, in some senses, similar to the
transitive property.

By way of contrast, at this scale of coarse linguistic structure,
thermodynamic functions are reflexive, symmetric and transitive, that
is, thermodynamic functions are equivalence relations.

 From the perspective of informational sciences, it appears that we
need to identify operations or methods that allow one to bridge the
relations between discrete systems composed from individuals and
continuous systems that presuppose homogeneous populations. A
fundamental obstacle to communication between the physical and the
biological sciences is the absence of such methods. Within this
framework I note that the logical structure of thermodynamics
excludes the inclusion of chemical structures into the mathematics of
thermodynamics. Ratios of the numbers of each type or class of
structure (equilibrium constants) become the source of relation
between the chemical sciences and the physics of heat.

  I agree with Enzo that our basic view of nature must shift to an
evolutive one. For me, an evolutive view of nature requires
inclusion of the specificity and sensitivity of assemblies of
components. Metaphorically speaking, the problems of describing
information flow is similar in a cell, in a individual organism, or
in a ecosystem - in all cases, a large numbers of distinctive
processes are collaborating to sustain the system. I believe that
the source of the specific and sensitive behaviors of living systems
must be accounted for in terms of the structure and behavior of
individual components of perplex assemblies as these components and
assemblies are the sources of informational flows.

I hope to respond to some of the other posts in coming weeks.

Cheers to All

Jerry