RE: [Fis] Sustainable use of resources

From: ????? ????? ???????? <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 03 Dec 2003 - 20:36:44 CET

Dear Pedro and others,

The relationship between various concepts of value is important, and consideration of moral values and other "alternative" value systems is necessary. But these alternatives frequently do not coincide (in terms of valuation, some items valued low in one hierarchy may be valued high in the other), and one reason why they co-exist in a society could be that they complement each other. Moreover, economic valuation often seems to be driven not by fundamental factors, but by the chaotic nature of market itself (stock prices may change dramatically in just few minutes, often having no apparent reason). Thus, a search for "universal" valuation system seems to me a task most likely unsuccessful.

As it seems, we agree that vaulation systems have developed evolutionary to help our survival in social / natural environment, and thus they "pinpoint" proper (or evolutionary advantageous) behaviour. Thus we may distinguish three types of values in terms of origin:
- "biological": human as a living system;
- "socially acquired": those transferred from parents, peers etc. in course of socialization;
- "socially adapted": those emerged within a given individual through his personal experience with society.
Social values may also be distinguished by a "degree of sharing"; they may be values of a given person, or of the whole society (e.g. religious values). Prices in economic system give a hint how values can be adjusted: if a person is unwilling to pay the price, it means that this person disagrees with "social valuation" of the good; if too many disagree, price "goes down", or relative valuation of a good changes. Moral values may be more stable, but they may have a similar mechanism: last century observed great "leaps" in social moral. Thus, value systems adapt to, and then result in mass-like, evolutionary more efficient behavior.

Both you and Loet refer to a human inventive capability, manifested through "increased social complexity" or "scientific breakthroughs". Indeed, i the past, a number of "technological revolutions" managed to improve social life significantly, the "green revolution" being one of its best known examples. However, let me add few arguments that were missing when I mentioned "concrete wall" metaphor. First, as far as I am aware, so far there are no ways to produce "net energy" (that is, energy produced with a technology less energy to create and maintain technology) other than burning non-renewable fuels. Solar cells, and fuel cells too, until recently have been thermodynamically "net energy consumers". This makes tapping energy from the sun inefficient - so far, at least. I suggested that this tapping can be made through natural biosphere, but there may be other technologies, for which we may hope. Second, I am hardly aware of any major crisis that was resolved by the science b!
efore it occurred (maybe the only example is a recent development of new vaccinations). So, most probably, civilization will continue the same evolutionary path until it comes close to, or runs into, the total exhaustion of natural resources.

I think that law of entropy does play important role for all complex systems. Struggling internal (and inevitable) degradation, all of them have evolutionary developed mechanisms of self-maintenance and self-reproduction. Provision of resources for these processes involves the whole diversity of relations between a system and its environment. So, reference to law of entropy does not necessarily imply reductionism: social self-reproduction may be a very complicated process that involves the whole system of medicine and education, but it is still driven (in the very essence) by the law of entropy.

However, I cannot agree totally with what Sergio was saying. Basic analysis of energy flows and "stocks" tells very little about information content of the system. There may be, say, same level of energy in human head and a piece of charcoal size of human head, but information content is different. Also, two men may have same nutrition level, but it does not allow us to determine their intellectual capabilities. There is, certainly, some relation, especially if different layers of organization are considered: a bacteria has a different level of complexity, and a different level of energy consumption, than a multi-cellular organism. But this relationship is very vague.

Now, in response to Heiner's note: I do not see problems whatsoever in using metaphors and models, even though subject of survival concerns everyone so much. Using metaphors is one of possible ways to communicate ideas on a rather sophisticated issue, and it does not undermine the scientific value of a discussion. And, let me imply, a strong metaphor may have very serious impact on human behaviour. In ancient Scandinavia, scalds were chanting "praises" and "abuses" to impact rulers, and legends say there were very succesful at this. I think scientists should also look for good metaphors and bright simple models to impact policy makers.

Kind regards

Pavel