RE: [Fis] Again about coupling resources and information

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 15 Dec 2003 - 11:12:05 CET

Dear Sergio,

I am sorry if I upset you with my example of Dutch tomatoes. But this
"ecological niche" seems rather viable despite the lack of sunshine in
this country. My point was about the construction of ecological niches
which can be sustained for shorter or longer periods of time. For
example, the polder landscape in Holland is now sustainable for more
than a few centuries. (My house, for example, is at six meters below the
normal sea level.)

One can always question an assumption used as relevant for the
construction of a social system and then show that it is not sustainable
at a longer-term perspective. The question is the sustainability of the
ecological niches in which we live. These are constructs which can be
reconstructed. When a dimension is added to the reconstruction all bets
on the basis of the previous system are off because a dimension is added
to the system. The maximum entropy is then multiplied. This
consideration explains why high-tech systems are often better
sustainable than low-tech ones. The tomato example illustrates the
point. The eco-tax of the EU did not help the natural tomatos. One may
regret this, but this is not incidental. There is no alternative to
knowledge-based innovations.

With kind regards,

Loet
  _____

Loet Leydesdorff
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
 <mailto:loet@leydesdorff.net> loet@leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/

 <http://www.upublish.com/books/leydesdorff-sci.htm> The Challenge of
Scientometrics ; <http://www.upublish.com/books/leydesdorff.htm> The
Self-Organization of the Knowledge-Based Society