RE: [Fis] Again about coupling resources and information

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Sat 20 Dec 2003 - 09:30:17 CET

Dear Pedro and colleagues,

I take the liberty to fight this argument all the way since I wish it to
be correctly understood. I agree with much of what you say and I
appreciate the example of the enzyme regulating the flux efficiently.
However, I think that it is important not only to distinguish between
the flux of resources and the entropy that it generates, but also
between the thermodynamic and probabilistic entropy that is generated by
this flux. Thus, there would be three systems of reference (theories) in
the case of your example.

The distinction is important because we are interested in information
theory. Historically, authors from the side of physics and chemistry
have attempted to subsume probabilistic entropy under thermodynamic
entropy as a special case or a little fraction that can be fully
understood using (chemical) physics. The argument becomes then often
unclear because the authors do not specify the system of reference other
than as "the" system. With "the" system, of course, they mean "nature".
(One can show that the probabilistic entropy is smaller than the
thermodynamic entropy times the Boltzmann-contant.)

Information theory however provides us with an entropy calculus that is
first independent of the system of reference. Therefore we can also
study the probabilistic entropy in an economic system. Whenever
something is communicated a probabilistic entropy is generated by this
redistribution. For example, in this exchange of emails we can count the
threads, the mails, the words, etc., and compute in each dimension how
much (probabilistic) entropy is generated. This is straightforward and
it does not have anything to do with the thermodynamic entropy produced
by or the energy needed for all the systems which carry the exchange.
(One can compute a thermodynamic entropy of the exchange of message, but
that would not inform us at all about the exchange.)

I am sure that you are able to elaborate this for your example of the
enzyme. The question one has to raise first when one studies the
probabilistic entropy of a system is: what does the system redistribute
when it communicates? This provides us with the specification of an
hypothesis. (George Spencer Brown would call this an observation = a
distinction + an identification, but that may be confusing.) Second, one
can ask how one can indicate the communication. This provides us with an
operationalization. Thirdly, the measurement can inform us about the
relative quality of the hypothesis. A system which operates in terms of
energy redistribution can then be considered as a special case that
requires a special theory (e.g., physics). But the one system cannot
reduced to the other without a specific theory (that can be tested!).

With kind regards and season's greetings,

Loet
  _____

Loet Leydesdorff
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
 <mailto:loet@leydesdorff.net> loet@leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/

 <http://www.upublish.com/books/leydesdorff-sci.htm> The Challenge of
Scientometrics ; <http://www.upublish.com/books/leydesdorff.htm> The
Self-Organization of the Knowledge-Based Society