Re: [Fis] (no subject)

From: viktoras <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 30 Dec 2003 - 01:39:53 CET

 Dear Loet,

I have been following this one and others extremely interesting discussion
threads since I joined the FIS-list. But your latest comment on Jerry's
thoughts provoked me to respond directly as I see something that looks like
a potential danger (would it be a commonly accepted truth) to the science.
What prompted me is your last sentence: "my answer would be negative because
this would restore a kind of wholeness that I consider as religiously
motivated." Sure, I understand that this is your attitude and everybody is
free to have own opinion therefore it is not you whom I want to address this
message, but the very idea of avoiding any "possibly being religiously
motivated" developments in science. What makes me think that it hides a
danger are numerous examples from a post-Soviet space where this very
motivation indeed was a compulsory rule of the ideology and policies of the
science of those not-so old days.

As a result the Big-bang theory in Russia and neighbouring countries has
been considered to be fake for an incredibly long period. The same was with
the entire sciences of cybernetics, genetics and all relating theories. The
only answer to "why" was - all these theories and sciences are capitalistic
and religiously motivated and therefore are not conformal with
scientific-materialistic worldview... As you understand this situation
virtually killed any developments in these sciences and related theories in
the former Soviet space for several decades. Although nor Big-bang theory
neither sciences of cybernetics or genetics were religiously motivated...

In fact I find Jerry's ideas very important as scientists from different
fields still miss the holistic point in worldview and sometimes, I would say
 naively expect that properties of atoms or cells that constitute systems of
higher hierarchies do not influence emerging new properties in those systems
 Thence we have "strange unexplored Territories" or mismatches between
theories of some sciences. Although it has been used to be widely accepted
for already several decades among close branches of sciences that natural
systems explored are somehow similar: physicists and chemists used to say
that nuclear reactions in principle are similar to chemical ones, ecologists
(e.g. Odum) state that response to stress in ecosystems is in principle
similar to the response of an individual, etc... I think these similarities
are indeed very interesting points to be deeper investigated using
intellectual tools of the science of cybernetics and related branches.

Seasons greetings !
With best regards
Viktoras Didziulis