Re: [Fis] (no subject)

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 01 Jan 2004 - 22:08:35 CET

Dear Viktoras,

I have a great esteem for Jerry's work and for Jerry as a scholar. One
learns a lot in these discussions.

I apologize if my remark sounded as so anti-religious that it could be read
as offensive. That is not what I meant. I also don't wish to impose my
opinion on others like the Soviets did a few decades ago.

My argument was not in favour of restoring another grand narrative (like
Marxism), but rather against the belief that there is a way back to an
eternal unity or another type of cosmology (reality). Order is no longer
given ex ante, but constructed and emerging ex post. There is no reason to
assume that there is a single order that unifies all possible orders (except
perhaps the heat death of the universe, but I cannot oversee that).

With kind regards and a happy new year,

Loet

At 04:39 PM 12/29/2003 -0800, viktoras wrote:
> Dear Loet,
>
>I have been following this one and others extremely interesting discussion
>threads since I joined the FIS-list. But your latest comment on Jerry's
>thoughts provoked me to respond directly as I see something that looks like
>a potential danger (would it be a commonly accepted truth) to the science.
>What prompted me is your last sentence: "my answer would be negative because
>this would restore a kind of wholeness that I consider as religiously
>motivated." Sure, I understand that this is your attitude and everybody is
>free to have own opinion therefore it is not you whom I want to address this
>message, but the very idea of avoiding any "possibly being religiously
>motivated" developments in science. What makes me think that it hides a
>danger are numerous examples from a post-Soviet space where this very
>motivation indeed was a compulsory rule of the ideology and policies of the
>science of those not-so old days.
>
>As a result the Big-bang theory in Russia and neighbouring countries has
>been considered to be fake for an incredibly long period. The same was with
>the entire sciences of cybernetics, genetics and all relating theories. The
>only answer to "why" was - all these theories and sciences are capitalistic
>and religiously motivated and therefore are not conformal with
>scientific-materialistic worldview... As you understand this situation
>virtually killed any developments in these sciences and related theories in
>the former Soviet space for several decades. Although nor Big-bang theory
>neither sciences of cybernetics or genetics were religiously motivated...
>
>In fact I find Jerry's ideas very important as scientists from different
>fields still miss the holistic point in worldview and sometimes, I would say
> naively expect that properties of atoms or cells that constitute systems of
>higher hierarchies do not influence emerging new properties in those systems
> Thence we have "strange unexplored Territories" or mismatches between
>theories of some sciences. Although it has been used to be widely accepted
>for already several decades among close branches of sciences that natural
>systems explored are somehow similar: physicists and chemists used to say
>that nuclear reactions in principle are similar to chemical ones, ecologists
>(e.g. Odum) state that response to stress in ecosystems is in principle
>similar to the response of an individual, etc... I think these similarities
>are indeed very interesting points to be deeper investigated using
>intellectual tools of the science of cybernetics and related branches.
>
>Seasons greetings !
>With best regards
>Viktoras Didziulis

Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences,
OZ Achterburgwal 237
1012 DL Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Tel: +31-20- 525 65 98
fax: +31-20- 525 20 86