RE: [Fis] (no subject)

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 12 Jan 2004 - 11:50:28 CET

> caught under similar premises to biological knowledge), from
> a >multidisciplinary perspective, I would put that 'all
> knowledge is local'
> SS: Shades of Clifford Geertz! This is a postmodern
> perspective, which denies global knowledge ideologically, and
> is related to Quine's impossibility of translation.

Dear Stan and colleagues,

Insofar as knowledge "is", it has to be locally. The global dimension of
knowledge remains an expectation.

With kind regards,

Loet

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
 <mailto:loet@leydesdorff.net> loet@leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/

 <http://www.upublish.com/books/leydesdorff-sci.htm> The Challenge of
Scientometrics ; <http://www.upublish.com/books/leydesdorff.htm> The
Self-Organization of the Knowledge-Based Society