Re: [Fis] 'Locale' Knowledge

From: Stanley N. Salthe <[email protected]>
Date: Thu 15 Jan 2004 - 10:40:09 CET

re Pedro's posting below: In my view, natural science (and some of social
science as well) is an attempt to find general rules (laws), and then to
see how these influence affairs at individual locales. Individual local
configurations add informational constraints to the general rules, which
also are informational constraints. (That is, the most general laws of
nature can be viewed as being unique -- historcal -- products of this
particular Big Bang.) So, following Pattee, we can distinguish dynamics
(the form of an equation) from the constraints upon them (the values of
constants in an equation). Dynamics can be viewed as the attempt to
promote energetic equilibrium in the Universe, while various constraints
can be viewed as arrangements to promote this project.

STAN