Re: [Fis] 'Locale' Knowledge

From: Pedro C. Mariju�n <[email protected]>
Date: Fri 16 Jan 2004 - 11:06:52 CET

Dear colleagues,

A very intriguing aspect of the current discussion concerns the
relationship between life and mechanics (dynamics). In my opinion, and
perhaps also following Rosen's authority, life goes beyond dynamics and is
"more universal". The living system couples to its boundary conditions in
a new 'active' way, roughly speaking an 'informational' one (which has
been called agency, autonomy, etc.). Its self-production will precisely
follow from the appropriate communication with the environmental
conditions. Then, this 'informational' mode of 'being in the world' creates
a fundamental breach in the systemic levels that were discussed recently...
It is a theme that dovetails with the discussion that Soeren will start
around next 22 nd on Autopiesis and Meaning --so I would wait for his
arguments.

About 'locale knowledge' we tend to focus on the products of science
(theories, laws, concepts, etc.) arguing out from the idealized
characteristics usually implied, and then we completely disregard the
limitations of the scientific practitioners. However, the 'limited
prehension' of the scientific observer/practitioner could be a very basic
aspect in order to make sense of the circulatory dynamics of 'scientific
networks.'

best regards