RE: [Fis] 'Locale' Knowledge

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 20 Jan 2004 - 06:49:14 CET

Dear Jerry,

In discourses words entertain relations among them. Words get meaning in
sentences. The derivation from the roots only provides us with one of
the structural elements (the grammatics), while one can also expect the
semantics and pragmatics of communication.

For example, the word "nature". It is derived from the Latin "natura"
which relates to "nascere" (to be born). We are nowadays inclined to
oppose "nature" to "culture". But in the 17th century, one would oppose
"nature" to "grace". In the 19th century, the major opposition is the
one between "natural sciences" and "Geisteswissenschaften", etc. Thus,
"nature" is then opposed to "mind".

It is sometimes useful to go back to the roots, but it is not sufficient
for clarifying the confusion.

With kind regards,

Loet