RE: [Fis] 'Locale' Knowledge

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Wed 21 Jan 2004 - 21:43:10 CET

Dear Rafael and colleagues,

The question of the perspective is very central to the sociological
enterprise. The sociologist moves in a "double hermeneutics" (Giddens).
The formulation in terms of the need of choosing a perspective was
already available in Max Weber's work. He published in 1904 an important
essay about the objectivity of sociological knowledge. The analytical
quality of the sociological inference is dependent on the reflexivity of
the researcher about these two roles.

In the sociological analysis one expects different perspectives which
increasing can be expected to distinguish themselves among one another
by becoming more orthogonal. I elaborated on this in a paper entitled
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/commsoc.htm> The Non-linear Dynamics of
Sociological Reflections, International Sociology 12 (1997) 25-45. Just
a few days ago I finished and uploaded a draft provisionally entitled
"The biological metaphor of a <http://www.leydesdorff.net/kybernetes>
(second-order) observer and the sociological discourse," which you may
find also interesting in this context.

The issue about the increasing orthogonality among competing discourses
can also be demonstrated in economics, but there it is less reflected in
the discourse than among sociologists. For example, neo-classical
economists are most interested in tendencies towards equilibria at
specific moments in time. This leads to comparative statics.
Neo-evolutionary economists are interested in change over time, e.g.,
along trajectories. Thus, the two communities take an orthogonal
perspective and find themselves locked-in into an incommensurability.

These are interesting questions. As you see, they are very dear to me.
But perhaps we should be more obedient to the agenda of this list.

With kind regards,

Loet
  _____

Loet Leydesdorff
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
 <mailto:loet@leydesdorff.net> loet@leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/

 <http://www.upublish.com/books/leydesdorff-sci.htm> The Challenge of
Scientometrics ; <http://www.upublish.com/books/leydesdorff.htm> The
Self-Organization of the Knowledge-Based Society