Re: [Fis] Information, autopoiesis, life and semiosis

From: Pedro C. Mariju�n <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 26 Jan 2004 - 14:34:38 CET

Dear Rafael,

The response (see below) is YES. Humans, for instance, may have in their
blood around 100.000 different enzymes, proteins and peptides. Most of them
in very, very tiny concentrations, and devoted to signaling activities in
between tissues. Now, there seems to be around 250 different tissular cell
types --each one 'talking' differently and systematicly picking different
items out from the same common soup as 'incoming messages' and producing
differentiated responses to them. Actually the detailed description on how
this distributed 'languaging system' works is the bread and butter of the
recently framed 'signaling science' field (devoted thus to study the
endless variety and processing dynamics of cellular signaling systems).

I agree with most of the other recent messages. Autopoiesis belongs more to
the past than to the present. However, it looks very interesting that we
try to cash out its pros and cons. About the 'level' stuff (Soeren and
Viktoras), maybe it is not such docile a creature as depicted. Levels might
have a dual origination: in part they belong to nature 'joints' but also to
our epistemic limitations in the 'scaffold' of disciplinary floors built
around nature herself (not always coinciding with the joints themselves).
Often it is quite difficult to disentangle the scaffold floors from those
of the edifice inside.

By the way, addressed to Rafael, Soeren, and other parties, in the most
simple and general way, what is meaning?

best

Pedro