[Fis] Brier, Part 1

From: Stanley N. Salthe <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 26 Jan 2004 - 22:24:10 CET

Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 11:29:56 +0100
To: "fis-listas.unizar.es" <fis@listas.unizar.es> From: Soeren Brier
<sbr.lpf@cbs.dk> (by

For FIS discussion with start 22.Jan. 2004 by S�ren Brier, Management,
Politics and Philosophy, Copenhagen Business School, sbr.lpf@cbs.dk

Information, autopoiesis, life and semiosis
Abstract

see interleavings:
>Biosemiotics allows us thus to use three types of causality: 1 Efficient,
>2.Formal and 3.Final.
     SS: I find it peculiar that the fourth cause -- material cause -- is
not mentioned here. It is alluded to later in the paper.

1. A non-manifestlevel with hypercomplex or chaotic interactions. The
concept of vacuum in Quantum field theory is one attempt by science to
describe this state, albeit without a synechistic frame.
2. An energy level with energy-based causal interaction by natural forces.
3. An informational level with signal and/or code causality.
4. Semiotic level with sign-game-causality within and between living systems.
5.A linguistic level with language-game-causality based on meaning between
conscious social systems.So, 1. is a transcendental level, 2. the physical,
3. the chemical, 4. the organic and psychological and 5 the social
objective knowledge to relate to Hartmann’s hierarchy.
     SS: For the record, this is a specification hierarchy, not a scalar
one (which is used later in the paper without distinguishing it. [See
General Systems Bulletin 31: 13-17 (2002)]

>Critique of current approaches
Descriptions of these levels did exist in different areas of modern
science, but they have never been brought together into one theoretical or
paradigmatic framework.
     SS: Sorry! -- see my 1993 book Development and Evolution: Complexity
and Change in Biology, MIT Press, where I discuss this, as well as the
scale hierarchy, and contrast them.