RE: [Fis] meaning of meaning

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 09 Feb 2004 - 09:44:19 CET

Dear Shu-Kun,

I expect that Pedro will allow me to respond despite the limit of two
email a week. (I'll shut up!)

> If meaning (M), information (compressed date, I), message
> (rough date received in communication, D), and all have the
> unit in bit, can we say M<I<D (M has the least number of
> bits)? I want to have some numeric idea.

These equations may hold for systems which can be considered as
providing the information with one meaning like biological systems.
Meaning-processing systems, however, can generate information by
communicating about different representations of the information
recieved. Thus, M can als be larger than I (using your notation -- which
with I disagree as you will have understood from my previous emails.)

In the case of meaning processing systems (like psychological and social
systems) the meaningful information (I) can be considered as the mutual
information between the information (D) processing and the meaning
processing. The mutual information (transmission) is smaller than or
equal to the information content of either system interfaced.

With kind regards,

Loet
  _____

Loet Leydesdorff
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
 <mailto:loet@leydesdorff.net> loet@leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/

 <http://www.upublish.com/books/leydesdorff-sci.htm> The Challenge of
Scientometrics ; <http://www.upublish.com/books/leydesdorff.htm> The
Self-Organization of the Knowledge-Based Society