RE: [Fis] meaning of meaning

From: Loet Leydesdorff <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 09 Feb 2004 - 21:02:11 CET

Dear Steven,

I don't expect the email messages to communicate in terms of electrons.
If one wishes to understand the email messages, one has first to specify
a hypothesis about what they might communicate. For example, one can
conjecture that our subset of email messages communicate ideas about
information theory.

The next question is then: How would one be able to measure whether
these email messages communicate indeed about information theory and,
for example, not about high-energy physics. I assume that one then would
begin to investigate the distributions of textual markers like
co-occurrences of words, headings of threats, etc. These distributions
can be investigated using information theory. :-)

> This is obviously a flawed point of view. It is one that would
dismiss the vision of Einstein, Darwin and Copernicus. I think the
truth of the matter is rather that there is a necessary synergy between
empiricism and intuitive speculation in the sciences.

Necessary? I don't follow. Furthermore, I am not impressed with your
argument of appealing to authorities. Did Copernicus publish also about
information theory?

With respect,
Steven

With kind regards,