[Fis] Meaningful Information vs Information

From: <[email protected]>
Date: Mon 09 Feb 2004 - 21:08:33 CET

Dear FISers,
Ongoing discussion about relations between information and meaning
is interesting. Subject deserves indeed much development.
Some may remember that we had last year exchanges that addressed
the point via a systemic approach, trying to represent "meaning"
as generated by a system.
Let me remind in a few words the proposed approach, as it may
bring some elements in current discussions:
1) A meaning is an information. It is a meaningful information.
2) A meaning can be defined as produced by a system submitted
to a constraint when it receives an external information that has
a relation with it's constraint. The meaning is that relation.
3) It is possible to define a Meaning Generator System (MGS) and
the Domain of Efficiency of a Meaning (for meaning transmission).
4)The MGS is a building block. In practical cases, several systems
having different constraints interfer together.
Regarding Peirce, the MGS can be compared to an Interpreter (this
point has been discussed in the Peirce-l forum).
Short paper on all this at:http://crmenant.free.fr/ResUK/index.HTM
I feel that such systemic approach can shed light on some questions
adressed in ongoing discussions.
Let us know your position

Best

Christophe