Re: [Fis] Meaning of music?

From: Jim Cogswell <[email protected]>
Date: Tue 10 Feb 2004 - 02:21:25 CET

Steven,
As a painter, I can relate most closely to your discussion, but I am not
sure I can sensibly discuss it.

Does painting have meaning?: of course, as a form of human intentional
activity it has meaning.

Does a painting have meaning?: maybe not. Suppose for a moment that having
a meaning is an indication of failure. if the artist has intentionally
done everything possible to make every element of his or her work
absolutely interdependent so that no part can be extracted without
destroying the whole. The reverberations amongst the parts are what make
it what it is..The trace is perhaps then only information but not meaning.

In that case, meaning, (I am thinking in a pedestrian way about paintings
whose meaning is discussed through verbal language, perhaps occasionally
through mathematics or geometry --as in Michael Leyton's work-- or some
other system of signs), meaning can no longer accomodate the experience,
particularly the sensory elements of the experience. What is left,
stripped of those elements, is an empty shell. Perhaps the explanation is
not the meaning, but only pointing to the meaning, which remains within the
experience. But if the meaning is not extractable from the experience,
then can we say that there is a meaning at all?
(My lack of background in philosophy and science is leading me into a
quagmire here. I wish I were better prepared to understand all the elements
of your discussion)

  Is my wish to refuse meaning an impossible wish for an art of
irreducible essence,and perhaps really rather silly? Yet, some examples,
particularly in music, being discussed here seem to approach that state.

We clearly don't approach other phenomena with the same severe restrictions
as I have expressed above concerning art, which casts serious doubt on my
prejudices. That is why these fis discussions continue to fascinate me, as
incomprehensible as they mostly are to me.

Jim Cogswell

--On Friday, February 6, 2004 4:48 PM -0800 Steven Ericsson Zenith
<steven@pearavenue.com> wrote:

> Luis Serra wrote:
>

> Dear FISers,
>
> Last postings, that have dealt with the very difficult and interesting
> topic of meaning (even the meaning of meaning has been questioned and
> analyzed), have reminded me the discussion about music and information,
> in which, if I am not wrong, Juan G. Roederer made the question "what is
> music?" Of course, the context and central topic of that discussion was
> very different, but at least in my modest opinion it is connected with
> the present discussion. I would appreciate a lot to know your opinions
> about the meaning of music.
> Is it correct to say that music as a form of communication has a meaning?
> And what about other forms of art (painting, sculpture, poetry...)?
>
> Given that we have some FIS colleagues from Arts and Humanities fields
> and/or very close to them, I would appreciate a lot that they share with
> us their perspective. Maybe this issue could provide a bridge of formal
> connection between science and humanities... don't you think?
> Best regards,
>
> Luis
>

> These are a few of the things that keep me awake at night.
>
> So here is the perspective of a modern semiotician interested in the
> foundations of such questions.
>
> Meaning is the experience of the trace of experience left by a sign -
> where a sign is the individuated experience of a mark. All individuated
> experiences are signs. The subjects of signs are marks. Marks are
> either natural marks arising from nature or metaphysical marks arising
> from intent.
>
> A definition is the meaning / sign pair. Only by the assembled set of
> definitions embodied by the organism can it distinguish between signs
> whose subjects are natural marks and signs whose subjects are
> metaphysical marks.
>
> If you care about such things you might look at it this way: imagine the
> embodied set of meanings as a complex vector space where each state
> vector represents a trace of experience, imagine each sign as existing in
> a similar complementary space.
>
> So, in this generalization it really does not matter if we are speaking
> of music, painting, or theatre. Equally it does not matter if we speak
> of the marks of literature, science or the stars.
>
> The distinguishing factors are the nature of meaning synthesis that the
> marks undertake in the organism and the learning of convention that
> surrounds them. There are two forms of meaning synthesis, formal
> synthesis and intuitive synthesis.
>
> [As an aside, to see how this works consider the difference between
> astronomers and astrologers.]
>
> So, to answer your question directly I will cast it so: How does an
> organism distinguish between the music of Beethoven and the song of a
> lark? And depending on the nature of the organism the answer is it can
> or it cannot.

> [...]

Jim Cogswell
Professor, School of Art & Design, University of Michigan
2000 Bonisteel Boulevard, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2069
Phone: (734) 764-0397
mailto:jcogs@umich.edu
http://www.art-design.umich.edu/faculty/cogswell/index.html
http://www.umich.edu/~jcogs